Friday, August 19, 2011

Experiment! 10-Day Juice Fast

Oh hey, I finally bought a juicer!
Typically I'm more of a "everything is good in moderation" type of person. But, after some recent inspiration, I've decided to try a 10-day juice fast. This is not a diet and my concern isn't weight loss. This is not permanent. It's a detox and for me this is only an experiment in discipline.

Over the last few years I've been doing a lot of reading about food and I've watched a lot of documentaries about foodI pretty much love food and I love to cook. As this has become a little hobby of mine, I've only sort of changed the way I eat. I'm not a vegetarian, but for the most part I'll choose the veggie option over meat when I'm out and I almost never eat meat at home. But I can't seem to stick to it. I'll have a burger here and then before I know it I'm ordering the chicken curry. Meat isn't the only vice I've been trying to eat less of. I've been trying to cut out a lot of animal products, but I definitely haven't been able to kick my cheese addiction. And so to improve my relationship with food, I'm dedicating the next ten days to juicing raw fruits and vegetables.

Before I begin posting about this... let me clear up a few of the questions I've already been hearing:

"Why are you doing this?!"

First, I'm really interested/curious to see how my body reacts to it. Second, I have a skin irritation called eczema and I'm really curious to see if this change in diet will clear it up or at least help with it. And from what I've researched, it's supposed to be really good for your body as long as when you start eating again, you are eating well and including more raw foods. Even though I eat pretty well now, I think I can do better. This will hopefully jumpstart an even healthier lifestyle after the ten days are up.

"What about protein?! Where will you get your protein?"

In general, we eat way more protein than we ever really need to, and I'm sure I have plenty stored up. If that answer isn't good enough, I assure you that that protein can be found in watercress, asparagus, beet root, sweet potato, cauliflower, broccoli... and the list goes on. So please, no worries.

"Won't you just get a lot of highs and lows from so much sugar in fruit?"

Fresh pressed fruit is natural sugar, and it's way better for us than the sugar you find in almost all processed foods. And for the most part, I'll be drinking vegetable juice. I'm sure there will be some highs and lows along the way, but I'm actually interested in experiencing them and sensing how my body reacts.

"Won't you be tired and cranky?"

It's possible. I've read that the first three days are the hardest. Which is why I'm beginning on a Friday. This weekend will probably be a lot of me, my bed/couch, and TV. By Monday, I should start experiencing higher levels of energy and this guy has even said that by days 4 and 5 he was feeling as euphoric as doping.

If I am cranky, kindly take me to get a juice or remind me that I'm not normally like that.

"How will you juice at work?"

My house is only a 10 minute bike ride away, so for my lunch hour I'm going to try to head home each day. When I can't do that, I'll head to La Fruiteria or Screaming Beans, as they both sell fresh pressed juice.

It's going to be an interesting experiment and I'm eager to see how I do. It's only ten days. I can do this. And just to make sure you're not too worried about me (mom!) If I can't do this, that's okay too and I'll stop.

Here we go...

4 comments:

Tiffany Anne said...

Good luck! I am so curious to see how it works out. I've considered doing this before too - just never got around to it. Keep us posted! :)

carrie said...

I was also inspired by that movie... I'd love to see how my body would respond too. Thanks for sharing your go at it!

jane smith said...

I noticed a detail, so I was a little surprised. Mix the team tory burch abbey ballerina flat reviews
a total of nine people, one mountain collaborator, and the other four were hired porters, porters load sixty-seven pounds per person, all equipment and food and drink, so you can pack light and ALICE line. Two years ago I was climbing to mobilize, I said I aged-year high, limb weakness, fear of climbing a mountain is delusions, tory burch caroline patent ballerina flat
can be a lobbyist told me, only I paid enough money, they protect me on the world's highest peak - Mount Everest, he that you are too naive, and no one is their own up, he said, money enough, tory burch dark blue flats
then you can suck the oxygen carried me sipping hot coffee to go.
People are unhappy, people began to doubt the tory burch tumbled leather selma boot
word donkey, the donkey is the weight of the animal, hard working, perseverance; you free exercise, take pictures, you can show off, others weight, suffer hardship, just reward, although the Tory burch black suede boots
two-phase conditions Wyatt, or let others unhappy. If the call to change to change, the heart may make it more comfortable, in fact, donkey porters, and the donkey as a friend; Departed change Jiaolv husband, donkey's husband. Praise Praise!

Grace said...

my sister and I are doing this as an experiment too and it is for a science fair. We found your blog and we knew we could just look up on here because you have already answered all of our questions. THANK YOU!