Thursday, December 9, 2010

I'm Recommitting Myself

I'm back. I'm recommitting myself to my blog. After 3 months of no posts, I've decided it's time.

I'd like to dedicate this post and the next few posts to Rachel Hom, who so patiently waited for my updates. Rachel, this is for you.

First, I'll celebrate with you and explain that I've moved to Amsterdam to take a job at StrawberryFrog, which I am very much enjoying.

I've been thinking a lot about why I'm not posting anymore, and I can't really come up with anything other than I just stopped and it's hard to start again. I enjoy posting, but after so long it becomes hard to get back into it. I think Kim put it nicely in one of her latest posts when she said something like, we're too concentrated on posting results rather than the process. I'd like to focus more on process from now on.. you know, take some of the pressure off.

But... because it's been so long, here are some results.

1. Moved to Amsterdam


2. This is my new Dutchie bike!


3. I live with these fun people

Chris is from New Zealand and Orla hails from Ireland. Chris is our transcontinental translator. Somehow Kiwis are well-versed in Irish/British and American English.


You know Josh, he's here too!

4. We celebrated Thanksgiving here and I made this delicious apple pie


5. I took my first business trip to Dubai and got to spend some time by the pool after work




6. I love my new job and all the great people I'm working with!

Every week our planning department gets together to do "novelty hour," which has become one of my favorite new activities. It's basically a time for us to get together once a week and teach each other something, experience something new in culture, and get to know each other outside of client work.

So far activities have included a musical jam session, a trapeze workshop, an idea book session, afternoon tea and a round of questions.






That's it for now. More process on the way, I promise. Something about promising things on publicly on the Internet really makes you follow through.

5 comments:

kimkaralekas.com said...

Yay, I’m glad you posted again. I’ve been borderline blog-stalking you hoping it’d be soon!

Looks like you’re up to some pretty wonderful things. I feel inspired…love your novelty hour and all that you guys do. There’s something pretty special about being curious and interested and interesting…and surrounding yourself with like people!

Keep the updates coming and I will live vicariously through you mi amiga! (=

Oh and p.s. I def. own that exact book of questions. Love it!

Workin' I.T. said...

I am so glad you're back. I've missed the world through your eyes.

I think part of the reason it's hard to start writing again- at least for me, and this move to NYC- is that there is so much new, overwhelming, hectic experience it's hard to get enough distance to articulate or put things in writing yet.

So much for me is still such oxymoronic drivel that to write it down is a waste of time: "I mean, I love it, but, I hate parts of it. I feel at home, but, I'm homesick." So maybe I am waiting for the dust to settle... but then again, maybe I can use the process, as you say, to actually *get* that perspective/distance.

Anyway. Glad you're here :)

Emily said...

Love it. so happy for you!

Ashly Stewart said...

@Kim, of COURSE you have that book. Wonderful!

I think you should come work over here too. Tell me when you're on your way :)

@Jessica I'm glad to be back. Looking forward to catching up with things. You're right, it really was just letting the dust settle.

Rachel H said...

now that's BOOM