Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Midwest Road Trip

It's true- I'm about to embark upon a great Midwestern adventure. I will be going on a 30-day road trip through the great states of: Virginia, Missouri, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Ohio. I'll admit it, I've been pretty scared of the entire Midwest for most of my life. It's a strange place when you're used to living near mountains and the ocean. Regardless, I am so excited for this trip- all 4,876 miles of it.



Brandon Doman and I were recently hired by Active Minds to take their Send Silence Packing program on the road. Active Minds is an non-profit organization working to promote awareness and change the conversation about mental health on college campuses. They recently applied for the Pepsi-Refresh Everything Competition and were awarded a $50,000 grant. How amazing is that? I've been hearing about the Pepsi-Refresh campaign and thinking up ways to apply myself. I'm really thrilled that this program is actually touching my life and so many others.

Not only will I be driving through the beautiful and flat Midwest, I will get to participate in a program of substance to help spread an important message. I'm really excited to be working with Active Minds, especially to promote Send Silence Packing (SSP). SSP is a suicide awareness campaign aimed to begin a dialog around the silent statistic that on average, 1,100 college students commit suicide nationwide each year.

Brandon and I will be keeping a blog and twitter account to help share our stories and the stories of others while we're on the road. I'll be sure to post more on my experiences.

I fly out to Washington D.C. tomorrow. If you're in D.C. I'll be there all weekend and I would love to see you!




3 comments:

Tiffany Schaffeld-Cruickshank said...

WOW! I can't believe you got the job - good luck and keep us posted. What an adventure :)

Tiffany Schaffeld-Cruickshank said...

Now that I read it, it sounds bad - I can actually believe the job, I just can't believe it all happened so fast!

Workin' I.T. said...

SO PROUD OF YOU!

Can't wait to keep up with you while you traipse around and save lives.